Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 18 - Generational Farms Will Never Be The Same.

The evening of July 18 was a beautiful evening....warm day with a severe thunderstorm warning being issued.  Our power went out at about 10pm and at 11pm we received a phone call from my parents.  The storm at our home consisted of rain (lots of it) and wind (lots of it) - it sent our bbq flying.  

I jokingly said to mom..."you guys okay"...
She replied..."we are, the house isn't"...
Which I then jokingly said..."did it take your roof off"...
She replied..."yes".

So the next morning, we headed off to mom and dad's to see the damage.  On route, I detoured through McClaughlin as this little hamlet was severely hit.  No "weather expert" has said it yet, but the damage speaks for itself...

My parents survived a torando!  Mom says everything only lasted about 10 - 15 minutes.  

Here are some pictures of the damage...





The next few pictures are of Sand's Seed Farm - they lost a total of 16 bins and part of their warehouse.  


If you look in the centre of this picture, you'll see a damaged bin.  Also the warehouse on the right...it did continue on.  




Mom and dad's neighbour, the Steib's, brand new shop...


The next set of pictures are from my parents farm:



Dad's brand new shed was tossed about 100 feet.  
The house damage.
I didn't get pictures of all the damage at mom and dad's.  Other damage included:
: her chicken run fence was flattened
: trees uprooted
: the one chicken bin has a new lean to it

The next two pictures I took of the local newspaper - they had gone around to different farms that I wasn't able to get to.  Just shows the horrific damage that was done everywhere.  The top photo is of the Gordon farm.  They lost multiple bins and a tractor.  




No comments:

Post a Comment