Potty-training. I think say that word to any mother and it's one of the most dreaded words to hear and say. It was for me! It wasn't something that I was every looking forward to - really who enjoys "accidents" multiple times per day. However, I also knew that there would come a day that I would be very tired of changing two little boys diapers...and the thought of baby #3 adding to that number, not only cost wise but also environmental and really, I don't enjoy wiping poop off a bum, we needing to address this potty-training stage pronto.
See, I tried it when Ezra was 18 months old. Yes, I realize now I was very eager and what was I thinking. Clearly, it didn't last long (my effort that is!). Moving on to when he was 27 months old, I gave myself one week in December. Ezra had to have it figured out in one week, because after that week, we were into dinner theatre mode and as much as my best friends love me :) I'm pretty certain they didn't want to try this potty training route either (although, Falon has potty-trained two girls and one had it figure out at 18 months...so maybe I should have let her do it :) ). One week and no success. Just so you all know, I tried the Baby-Wise Potty-Training book (those that know me well, know that I am a Baby-Wise book momma!)...it didn't work. Something about me needing to ship Ryder off for three days, I just knew wouldn't happen! :)
Sooooo enter end of January. By then, I'm pretty certain that Ezra is ready (that and Steve has asked me a few times when I'm going to try it again. Really I was just being lazy - it's so much easier to put a diaper on). Following the lead of my bestie Jess, we tried the commando look. Nothing but a shirt on and maybe socks if I was feeling generous! We started at 8:00 am and by noon I was thrilled to pieces...no accidents. He went on the toilet every time he needed to. Then I thought...okay, let's try not taking him...let's see if he just goes on his own. Naptime came that afternoon, and trust me I'm not that stupid....a pull up was put on. But as soon as nap time was over, off it came. And you know what, my buttons burst at the seams! No accidents the whole first day (and he went on his own!). Second day = accident free! Third day...oh dear, a birthday party in town. Here goes nothing....on with some loose pants (it was also the first time that he didn't tell me he was cold! :) ), and off we went into Lloyd for 3 hours = accident free! Day four was Church. I was pretty nervous...accident free.
I could give you day by day by day all the way until today...3 weeks later. But I'll recap for you. In 4 weeks, we have had maybe 6 accidents (MAYBE!). It essentially took us 3 days to potty train. And then, get ready for this! It took us only two weeks to nap and night train. Yeah, you read that correct. My first born, my baby boy, Ezra...is no longer a baby! He will either go to the bathroom on his own, or do a potty dance all while grabbing himself saying, pee, pee, poo, poo (those have become some glorious words!). He doesn't wear a pull up during nap time. We still put one on during the night...but have yet to have it wet in the morning. He comes down and eventually tells us if he has to go.
I am one VERY proud MOMMA!
Way to go Ezra! Keep rocking the toilet!
ReplyDelete