Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ontario 2014 - Port Dover

Steve's brother and family are on a year long tour of the USA and Canada.  They were scheduled to be in the Port Dover/Toronto area on June 15th visiting family (Steve is originally from Hamilton), so Steve's parents and our family decided to fly down to spend some time with them (Bob and Jan flew a few days a head of us and came back later as well).  

The kids were golden on the flight.  Pretty much two words.  WEST JET.  They literally make flying with kids a breeze.  


The last time we were in Ontario (which was just last year) our luggage didn't arrive with us.  This time it did, along with three car seats.  Happy momma I was.  Talk about a sight we were though going through the airport.  Three car seats, two large suitcases, 1 small suitcase, 1 back pack, 1 purse, 3 children, and one stroller.  Fun times!



In typical vacation fashion, I ended up taking Mckenzie to emergency the first day of being in Port Dover.  A rash had started to show up on the Saturday and by Monday it was considerably worse.  After talking with a public health friend back here in Lloyd and sending her pictures, she recommended that we take Mckenzie in to be seen by a doctor.  I will say, all emergencies across Canada have got to be the same....2.5 hour wait.  End result.  Strep resulting in a rash.  I guess we will say that she had every reason to be very irritable.  




Monday evening we went out for supper with family to a local restaurant in Port Dover.  Poor Ezra just couldn't stay awake (the kids were up at 6:30 ONTARIO time....that would be 4:30 Alberta time!!!!!).  Thankfully they adjusted that idea by the next idea.  


I'm a big fan of the Food Network...and really enjoy Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives (USA) and You've Gotta Eat Here (Canada).  The Crepe House in Port Dover was on YGEH....so I was pretty adamant that we have at least one meal here.  Peter & Tammy and family, and Steve (who was much less thrilled about it than everyone else) humoured me and we went for lunch on Tuesday.  I've gotta say - it was freaking FANTASTIC (pretty much every person said that!).  So good.  Best meal the whole trip for me.  If you are ever in the Port Dover area - You've Gotta Eat Here! ;) 




I had a chicken/spinach/goat cheese crepe topped with red pepper jelly sauce.  So good! 



After lunch we headed down to the beach.  It was so nice to hang out with Peter, Tammy, and kids on our own for a bit.  We sure miss them!  




I have always enjoyed watching Steve be an uncle.  I'm pretty sure he has missed teasing Genesis, Zac, and Zane.  He is a great uncle!










The way that these two played together I hope is a very strong indication how good they will be at the lake this summer.  Such friends these two are!













Wednesday afternoon we headed to our friend Fred's home.  Fred and his wife Carrie have a beautiful backyard with a pool :).  It was a warm day but sadly I forgot to bring the swimsuits there.  It didn't stop Ezra though...he figured out a different way! 




Check out that body!



Wednesday evening was my "family" highlight.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Mattice crew.  This large group of people provide me with such love and blessings in ways that they will never, ever know.  We went out for supper to a local restaurant and then headed back to Danny and Sandra's house (they have a brand new home and it is gorgeous!) for dessert and more visiting.  I can remember meeting them all for the first time when Steve and I were out for a visit when we were dating - they are such a welcoming, kind, loving, caring family that is so full of life and love.  It really is such a great time with them and I always walk away with my love tank full.  



The Crew!


We were so thankful for Danny and Sandra opening their home to us while we were in Port Dover.  Their new home is such a beautiful home and it worked so well for us to be staying with them (so much nicer than a hotel!).  Our kids absolutely love Brayden and Jordan so that was great entertainment for them as well!  Thank you Danny & Sandra for being perfect hosts for us!  



No comments:

Post a Comment