Friday, June 14, 2013

Saying Goodbye..........Never Easy!

We have been so very blessed these past 3 1/2 years to have an amazing family doctor and at the end of May we had to say goodbye to him as him and his wife (and soon to arrive baby daughter) are moving back to South Africa to be close to family.  This was a move that we always knew would eventually arrive, but when we were transferred to his practice I never even imagined that he would impact our lives the way that he has.  We will miss him immensely!  

Dr Van der Merwe has been involved in all three of our children's lives.  He wasn't our family doctor when Ezra was born, but he was covering for our doctor and was the one to discharge us from the hospital.  I can remember thinking 4 years ago that he was wayyyy to young to be a doctor and did he really know what he was doing.  We transferred to his practice shortly after Ezra was born and he has been so very thorough with the care that he has provided for our children and for myself.   

When the move came into fruition, I remember saying to mom that I wanted to bless his family with something that would only give a glimpse of my gratitude of his care these last few years.  Thankfully, mom is Super Woman when it comes to making quilts and she made the BEST quilt that she has made yet for him and his family.  Sadly, the picture doesn't even begin to do it justice :(.  She also came up with the idea to trace the kids hands and have their handprints etched into the quilt - so along the bottom are six tiny little hands.  As well, for the day when Dr Van der Merwe is old and senile :), we included a note that was stitched on the back saying who the quilt was from, where we lived, and a scripture verse.  

Our last appointment with him (as far as the health system knew it was a follow up appointment) was a goodbye appointment.  I remember saying to him "I've got a little speech to say - which I had been working on for weeks in my brain - I will probably cry, but you just have to listen to me".  To which he responded "I'm not good at things like this so how about we don't".  We did.  And we all cried.  It just shows how he went from being a doctor, to a friend, to part of our family.  The only plus, I know that we are welcome in their home in South Africa anytime - I forsee someday a family trip :)  
We will miss him.  

The picture with us, mom, and Dr Van der Merwe and the quilt.  



One last photo of the kids with Dr Van der Merwe.  I had hoped the screaming from Mckenzie would look like laughing - fail....she does like him! 



Dr Van der Merwe with Ryder at one week old.



Dr Van der Merwe with Mckenzie at one week old.


Lloydminster has lost a great physician....South Africa has gained a great physician.  

May God continue to richly bless this man and his family!  




No comments:

Post a Comment